Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Gulf Wars XXI - Snippets in Ecstasy

I originally had a very large post written detailing all my experiences at War. That got deleted however, and frankly I don't have the energy to recount everything I did and experienced all over again. Instead, I'm going to post a few photo's that I took/were taken by others and give you small snippets of my favorite moments from the event.

 One of the hardest things for me to overcome in life is my paranoia and fear out being alone. When I don't feel comfortable or safe, like I belong, I tend to clam up and remain distant at best. This crew here, mostly strangers at the beginning of the week, held me close and helped me to feel like I belonged and was welcome. I'm not even sure if they know or not how much just including me and treating me like one of the gang meant to me, or how much it inspired and make my Gulf Wars experience that much more amazing. Thank you.

Ahh, the Green Dragon. One of several permanent structures built on the campgrounds, this one held a special place in my heart. Stepping inside brought you into the depths of a medieval fantasy, stone floors lined the tavern while wooden benches lined wooden tables. Barkeeps manned the draft, pouring elixirs that healed the soul while bards sang from the rafters for our patronage. Knights sat round, trading stories of bloody and brutal combats while minstrels sat in corners tuning instruments and trading stories to be later told around camp fires. I went here every night, just to sit and absorb the atmosphere, and for those brief moments I was transported back in time.

Of course no trip to Gulf Wars would be complete without worship at the Shrine of St. Martin. What started as a joke teasing a good-natured Knight over his error while digging has taken a life of its own, with a level of reverence and silliness few seen in the modern day. While still a fun joke and a gentle tease at Sir Martin, the whole concept has evolved past that and become a new beast full of its own life and energy. Decorations and offerings of worship were added as the week went along, random Trimarian and others from the Knowne World would pause to worship at it and everyone walked away with a smile upon leaving. I feel that the legacy of this prank and later Shrine is one of joy and happiness, because from the light heart did such wonders spring forth. I look forward to the day I get to meet Sir Martin in person, I want to thank him for putting up with the silliness and letting me see something that has inspired me to create joy and laughetr in the hearts of my friends.

Hundreds of unnamed volunteers gave their blood, sweat and tears into making this event possible. These are folk who sacrificed time from classes, from fighting and even drinking to take care of us and to help the event run smoothly. I am proud to have stood beside every single fellow who lifted a beam and tied a rope, carried water or even cleaned the trash from the bins. These are folk who joyfully went about their task, singing and laughing with each other as they took sheer delight in the work being accomplished. It was quite a moving sight, and it inspired me to work harder to be a part of the magic they feel.

Decades of cooking experience was at my hand in this photo, women who had been making feasts and meals more extravagant than I can even dream before I even heard of anything like the SCA. Everyone in this photo, and the three others not seen here, were kind and generous with their cooking knowledge. They were all eager to sit and talk with me for hours at a time, to walk with me and share stories of the past and just give advice on things like love and politics. I was never made to feel like an outsider, I always felt included and more importantly I felt like a vital part of the operation. I learned so much in this week that I'm still having to review the notes I gave myself, and I feel that the greatest thing I learned was that if the positions are ever reversed...I know how to treat someone right.

This one was taken by a random passer-by, shortly before I spoke with Madhavi and she accepted me as her student. I had the pleasure of accompanying her and her daughter Elizabeth (or Biff as she likes to be called on occasion) to watch youth combat, to meet several wonderful people from all around the Knowne World and most importantly to relax and just talk with Madhavi. The relationship between Madhavi and her daughter was wonderful to watch, and the personal time to just talk with her about my feelings and ambitions and things I wanted to accomplish in the SCA was refreshing. The siple joy of combat, good food, good friends and good talk make this a very special memory for me.

His Majesty and I spent over an hour grilling at the Knowne World Party together. I got a chance to really meet and talk with Ari for the first time, to see the man behind the crown, and I was surprised at how little has changed between who he is and who he is as King. Finding out we worked in the same field was a pleasant surprise, talking about the cultures and relationships other Kingdoms have with their Royals and Peers, watching him chase off retainers with heated tongs made me laugh and just generally discussing life in the SCA was one of the highlights of my trip. My gut always told me he was a man I could respect, trust and follow into battle. I am so glad my experiences match, and he shall always be my King in my heart.

It takes a great deal to move me to tears, but this man was one of several who frequently inspired me to do so. His heartfelt speech after the Ravine battle struck a chord deep inside of me, I felt so much pride for my Kingdom and pride in the warriors that fought for us all. All around me were encouraging words of fighters who drug themselves up to shake each others hands, who refused to leave the armor that weighed them down because they were proud of that Trimarian blue. If I ever had a doubt for the love and dedication to this hobby, this one moment erased it from my mind.

Gulf Wars was everything I needed it to be and more, a once in a lifetime experience that I can forever look back upon and feel inspired and uplifted. Even in the dark times of my life, I can look back and know one simple thing.

I know that I have a home, a place I am welcomed and safe and loved. No one can ever take that away from me, for my hearts blood beats blue.

Thank you to all the wonderful people who have made my journey amazing so far, I cannot wait to cotinue walking the road with you.

2 comments:

  1. May you have a hundred more Gulf Wars, and each be better than the last!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me both envious to have been there with you, but also so deliriously happy you got to have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete