Sunday, January 15, 2012

Winter Art/Sci...complete!

I am back from the Scot-Welsh War and the Trimaris Winter Art/Sci event, and I had a total blast!

After only 3 hour of sleep, I packed up and headed out to the site. Registration was a little hard to find, but once I did it was a simple enough process. I got myself registered, warmed myself by the fire, and then braved the cold once more to recover my Art/Sci tub to unload and display my project. The table set-up was a little confusing, not due to the event staff but several people had begun to set up their displays already and had covered the table markers! After a little looping about I found the division 5 table and set up next to a lovely woman who had done dyes and fabric.

This was my lovely display, based of a painting depicting a 1387 dinner party amongst French royalty. The Mylates of Pork pie rests on the wooden charger plate, to the left of the plate are two knives for eating and part of my documentation packet while to the right is a wooden spoon and my journal. Above and framing the display are two candles (scented vanilla because I love the smell), a bottle containing my powder fort blend, a small nef containing sea salt and kosher salt and finally a pitcher of water with two glasses. I feel that the red tablecloth really goes well with the color of the pie :)


A closer look at my pie, because it's just so sexy. The moment this came out of the oven, I could not have been happier with how it looked. The smells and yes even the tastes on this thing were amazing, and this truly was the best version of this pie I have every produced.






Sadly Lana could no attend to present her beautiful scroll (and be there in person to accept her winning of the Crowns Acclaim!!) so I set up her display for her. It was a beautiful piece, and I am so jealous of her talent with paints.

The judging went well, I got a 56 average out of 60 points. Two judges that I was very nervous to have grading my entry were Mistress Madhavi and Baroness Bebin, one is a cooking Laurel who I admit I have a tiny amount of hero admiration for and the other is the head of my local cooks guild here in Darkwater. I was glad that I brought my spice blend for my presentation, both Bebvin and Madhavi were happy to sample it and greatly enjoyed the blend. All three judges loved my entry, and thankfully many of the issues I had previously I had managed to clear up. I was given some really great feedback for improving, and they all were just wonderful to me as a judge!

There were 26 other truly amazing entry's, and photo's of most are on my facebook page to look over which I highly recommend! After the judging I spent the entire day...just relaxing :). I did barely any work this event, normally I would feel bad but I really did need the time to decompress. I enjoyed wonderful conversation with some people and learned a lot just from the other entry's, I viewed several people being belted and I am so happy that one lady who I've been becoming friends with was suchly honored. It was a nice experience to relax by a fire, or drift in and out of sleep at my chair while talking and trading cooking notes on various products.

I was gifted with a few select pieces of armor at the event, most importantly a new helm and a shield. I had a local squire inspect and help me figure out proper cleaning and repair as well as what's left for me to add before I have a completed kit. I spent a good hour watching the King whip his army into shape, the fighting was most excellent and the cold weather seemed to help the fighters keep their endurance up. The army is looking great for war, we're gonna do so well this year I just know it!

All in all, I had a amazing time at the event. It was capped off nicely by being invited to dine with Madhavi for feast, we spent much of the night talking amongst here and Rurik and Cerdwin about cooking and other SCA topics. An amazing experience that reinvigorated me to continue on my journey forward.

1 comment: