Sunday, January 29, 2012

Another Event down :)

On Saturday was Trident Tourney, an event hosted by my own local Barony of Darkwater. Overall it was a really great time, the weather held up for the weekend and the rain that rolled though on Friday morning cleared for perfect blue skies the rest of the weekend. I sadly had to work Friday night so I could only daytrip, but Saturday I woke up stupidly early to make my way up to Trident.

Saturday, for me, started at 5am. I awoke early to begin preparations on my gift to their Excellencies, two pounds of bacon stuffed into a dough shaped into the form of a pig. I sadly didn't have enough time to do the level of detail I wanted with the pig, it looked like a pig but the details need to be far more clear so I didn't take a photo. Sarah and I got on the road and traveled north to the site, thankfully it was far warmer that Scot-Welsh warm just a few short weeks ago. I checked in, gifted their Excellencies with the pig which they both enjoyed and charged me with sharing it with the populous in the Feast hall. let me tell you, the quickest way to make friends it to show up with a pound and a half of bacon to give away!

Sadly, there was some down moments for the event. The only real one for me was the lack of cooking I could participate in, something I'll be honest I was looking forward to. Not to knock the Feastacrat or anything, the lovely Peer had just done so much prep work the night before and made the meal so simple so she could take time to go participate in combat in between checking on meat. Her two helpers did much of the heavy work for her, so in the end there was just nothing for me to do. Disappointed, I made my way over to Master Evan when I heard that there was a scheduling issue and His Majesty had no retainer for most of the day. I volunteered to help out as I did enjoy my previous time retaining for His Excellency, boy was I in for a surprise at the level of work! My basic duties saw to following him around, carrying things he may need or running errands on his behalf. Simple, right?

Retaining for His Majesty was a lot of work, but all of it fun.His Majesty can move incredibly fast and make sudden changes quickly, he moves like a fighter so keeping an eye on him can be tricky at the best of times! Early on I would make the mistake of thinking I could look away for a while before he would suddenly vanish and I was almost jogging to catch him and be there. His Majesty is also a busy man this time of year, on top of his regular Kingdom duties he also has to prep for Gulf Wars and work on fighter moral for the upcoming battle. Improptu meetings would take place in between changing armors or even on the way to the bathroom, and His Majesty fought for hours upon hours against anyone who would challenge him (with me being his "dance card" register).


Court time came, there were tons of lovely awards handed out to many well-deserved (and long overdue) gentles. There was a 3 way surprise between Jake, Lana and I though which made us all crack up at the end of the night. Jake thought Lana and I were getting awards, Lana thought Jake and I were getting awards, and I thought Jake and Lana were getting awards but apparently our own Baroness was tricky enough and we all three got awards! I was made a member of  Order of the Hidden Treasure, a simple Baronial award sure but I was deeply honored to receive it! It also came with this sweet pendant.


The event ended on a great note, and as always recharged me and energized me to work harder and improve. I also learned today I need to invest more time in other things than cooking, because every now and then there's no cooking to be done ;)

2 comments:

  1. I guess I can't bead things for you while you're on the couch anymore huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You realize this trick will not work again, don't you Lana? ;)

    ReplyDelete